Note: RC=right click
Xfce 4.10 makes it very easy to change basic function and look of a user's configuration.
- Most importantly, remember: RC is your friend!
- Great control is available through the Settings Manager (Panel icon)
- User changes are stored in Xfce4 config files in the directory: ~/.config/
- Most system-wide Xfce4 config files are in /etc/skel/ or /etc/xdg/
The overall appearance can be customized by in the Settings Manager.
- Click on Appearance to change style, icons, fonts and some settings.
- Click on Desktop (also by RC desktop) to change background, menus, and some icon settings.
- Manage default desktop icons such as Removable Devices by RC desktop > Desktop Settings ... > Icons tab.
MORE: Xfce4 docs: Appearance.
- To move the panel, unlock it by RC > Panel > Panel Preferences.
- Install new panel items by RC an empty space > Panel > Add New Items.You then have 3 choices:
- Select one of the items on the main list that pops up
- If what you want is not there, select Launcher. Once it is in place, RC > Properties, click the plus sign and select an item off the list that pops up.
- If you want to add an item not on either list, then select the empty item icon below the plus sign and fill in the dialog box that pops up.
- New icons show up at the bottom of the Panel; to move them, RC > Move
- Change the look, orientation, etc. by RC the panel > Panel > Panel Preferences.
- Add or delete a panel in Panel Preferences by clicking on the plus or minus button to the right of the top panel pull-down menu.
MORE: Xfce4 docs: Panel.
The default desktop (AKA wallpaper, background) can be changed in various ways. Watch the useful video on the topic.
- RC any image > Set as wallpaper
- If you want the wallpapers available to all users, become root and put them in the /usr/share/xfce4/backdrops folder; you will probably have to create this folder, easiest in a root Thunar.
- If you need to restore the default wallpaper, it is in /usr/local/share/backgrounds/.
- Note that the tool Settings Manager > Desktop > Background is not reliable for dealing with multiple wallpapers.
You can display almost any kind of information on the desktop by using Conky
- Install conky-manager from the repos.
- Click Start menu > Accessories to find Conky Manager.
- In Conky Manager, you can highlight each conky and hit Preview to see what it looks like. Be sure to close each preview before going to another.
- If it seems that Conky Manager has frozen, check for a window with the preview hiding behind it.
- Check the box to select any conky you want to use. It will be auto-installed.
- The configuration files are stored in the folder ~/conky-manager
MORE: Deluxe Conky Theme Pack.
By default, MX-14 uses the keyboard layout that matches the user's language choice. You can easily add another keyboard.
- Click Settings Manager > Keyboard > Layout tab
- Uncheck at the top: Use system defaults
- Click on the Add box, select the languages you want, and Close
- Click the flag applet in the Notification Area to keyboard layouts.
MX-14 comes by default with the Whisker Menu, though a classic menu can be easily installed by RC Panel > Panel > Add New Items > Applications Menu. Whisker Menu is highly customizable. There is a useful video on the topoic.
- RC the menu icon > Properties to set preferences.
- Favorites are easy to add: RC any menu item > Add to Favorites.
- Simply drag and drop Favorites to arrange them as wished. RC any entry to sort or remove.
Menu entries can be edited with the following tools:
- Click Start/Menu > Accessories > Application Finder, and RC any entry > Edit. This allows you to change name, comment, command and icon.
- For advanced editing, install menulibre from the repos.
For modifications of the login greeter, see this guide.
The bootloader (GRUB) menu of an installed MX-14 can be modified with two very handy graphical tools, both in Start menu > System.
- Grub customizer. This tool allows users to configure some important Grub settings such as the boot entry list configuration.
- Disk manager. With this utility you can easily manage partitions, filesystem and NTFS support.